Sunday 17 October 2010

Back to the kitchen

A while back I used to add random recipes to this blog but I haven't done so for a bit so it's time to remedy that.
I have, as a lot of gardeners have,a glut of certain crops from time to time and need new and appetising ways of using up the extras, other than freezing.
So, as it's getting chilly out and I have beetroot, let's revive the habit.

Caramelised Beetroot.

Ingredients

Serves 4 as a side dish
  • 8 small, raw beetroot
  • 75g caster sugar
  • juice of 1 orange plus grated zest or 75ml orange juice
  • 30ml of a delicately flavoured vegetable oil (e.g. sunflower
  • ½ teaspoon cinammon, grated
 

Method

  1. Scrub the beetroot and trim the stalks
  2. Chop into 6 to 8 segments,
  3. Put the orange juice, sugar, orange zest, oil and cinammon in a pan and heat gently to dissolve the sugar
  4. Add the beetroot and mix well, so all the segments are coated with the mixture
  5. Place on a baking sheet, spreading all the segments out so they aren't covered by other segments
  6. Bake at 180 degrees C for about 40-45 minutes (depending on size of segment) until tender and sticky


I tried this one out today. It was probably one of the easiest recipes I've done for a long time and the hardest part was waiting for it to finish  cooking before I could tuck in!

No comments: