Thursday 16 June 2011

Getting in The Spirit Of The Harvest

I've been looking for more ways to use up the abundant harvest which seems to be coming earlier and earlier. So far, the peas and potatoes are welcome at the table in the usual form of sunday roast vegetables but the surplus fruit has always been a challenge. We can only eat a limited amount of Summer Pudding and as lovely as strawberries and cream are, after too many they start to induce a fuller figure and nausea!
So, being partial to the odd naughty vimto, I stumbled across a few recipes for using fruit to enhance alcoholic drinks.
The ingredients. Blackcurrants, Voka and a kilner jar.


Washing the fruits and removing the sticks, stems and snails


 Kilner Jar stuffed to the brim with fruit and topped up with medium quality unflavoured spirit.


The finished product, bottled and ready to infuse the vodka with the rich taste of blackcurrants. Approximately 7-10 days of turning twice daily to help the mix should result in a full flavoured spirit. I'll test it on day 7 then if ready, I'll filter the spirit through a coffee filter paper into a sealable bottle.
I've never tried this recipe before so I will report back if sober when the week or ten days is over.

Next, maybe if it works well, I'll try other flavourings, Raspberries, Tayberries or maybe some sort of blend of fruits.
Let me know if you try it too!

No comments: