Sunday 6 June 2010

It's coming on strong.

The first real crops are beginning to appear at the plot now, with early sown peas coming along in waves, thanks to a succession of sowing over several months. The radish were technically first but they barely constitute a real crop as there is a limit to how you can use them in a Sunday roast.More likely would be the broad beans that have now begun to fill the pods. My second harvest of peas were joined by some lovely small, tender and milder tasting broad beans.
Strawberries have been colouring up nicely too and today I managed to save six from the slugs. There are many more to come as this year looks to be a bumper years for soft fruits. My usual mass of currants are on target, as are the afore mentioned strawberries. The Loganberries have settled in this year and are now covered in ripening fruits although the blackberry is less enthusiastic. that may be the fact that it is more of an autumnal fruit, like the raspberries. There are many more raspberry canes this season, encouragingly. As for the other fruits, the gooseberry has come back to life after a very poor season last year, when they barely showed a single berry. The apple tree has now come through its frame building period and is now producing a modest crop of tiny but potential fruits. All in all, I'm very encouraged by the fruits this year. The veg hasn't been slacking wither, with my succession of Rocket new potatoes now starting to flower, so I'll be putting peas, beans and potatoes on the table soon.Hopefully, the carrots will be cropping just before the spuds run out but I know the parsnips will be a long way off,despite looking really healthy already. I have had such germination success with the parsnips that I have had to thin them twice as they have grown larger and larger without loss. The carrots haven't been as abundant but have still surprised me. The greens are holding true and I have to find room somewhere for a few rows of purple sprouting that are getting a bit big, I have greyhound spring greens in two beds making up enough cabbage for the year, with enough for one a week for 52 weeks and some for the slugs. Finally, with some rescued tomatoes and over 60 iceberg lettuce, the salad bowl should be safe too!

No comments: